Trustee Summit 2016 is the annual leadership event that brings together Florida's university boards of trustees, presidents and members of the Board of Governors. Coinciding with the November Board of Governors meetings, summit sessions are intended to provide value for each attendee, whether long–serving or newly appointed, with priority given to deepening the understanding of governance and the challenges faced by our institutions.
University Boards of Trustees
Each of the twelve state universities has a 13-member Board of Trustees responsible for cost-effective policy, implementing and maintaining high-quality education programs consistent with the university's mission, performance evaluation and developing a process meeting state policy, budgeting, and education standards. Members of the boards of trustees shall receive no compensation but may be reimbursed for travel and per diem expenses.
Members are appointed by the Governor (6 citizen members) and by the Board of Governors (5 citizen members). These 11 appoints are subject to confirmation by the Senate. The remaining two members are the chair of the faculty senate or the equivalent; and the president of the student body of the university. The appointed members shall serve staggered 5-year terms. There shall be no state residency requirement for university board members, but the Governor and the Board of Governors shall consider diversity and regional representation.
- Trustee Duties and Responsibilities [14.2 KB PDF]
- Trustees and Board of Governors Communication [72.0 KB PDF]
- Trustee Regulations Procedures [64.0 KB PDF]
- BOG Regulation: 1.001 University Boards of Trustees Powers and Duties
- University Boards of Trustees
- Archive: 2008 Workshop on Trusteeship and SUS Governance
Board Vacancies and Application Process
- Trustee Selection and Reappointment Process [60.5 KB PDF]
- Application for Board of Trustees Position [261.7 KB PDF] Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader to complete and print
- SSN Collection/Use Statement [70.4 KB PDF]
- Board of Trustees Vacancies
Trustee Summit 2016
Trustee Orientation 2016
New trustees are invited to orientation, a valuable opportunity for newly appointed trustees to learn about the State University System, our collaborative efforts to
move the State University System forward, the importance of strategic alliances, and effective board participation. Time is also reserved for meeting other new trustees
from each of Florida's twelve institutions, to forge relationships with the leadership of the Board of Governors and to become familiar with senior staff from the board office.
For more information, contact Diane McCain, Director of External Relations at firstname.lastname@example.org or