Task Force on Postsecondary Online Education in Florida
The 2012 Legislature provided funds to the Board of Governors to obtain the services of a consulting firm that would study online education in Florida. A contract was awarded to The Parthenon Group; its report, Postsecondary Online Expansion in Florida, its Detailed Fact Base , and its cover letter were submitted to the Board Office on November 16, 2012.
After multiple discussions, the Board’s Strategic Planning Committee recommended that the full Board:
- Use the Strategic Plan preeminence metrics to designate the university which would create a separate arm to provide online degree programs of the highest quality, and that funds be requested of the Legislature to support such an effort. The preeminence metrics would be those passed by the 2012 Legislature and approved by the Board for use in the 2012-2013 university workplans. Further, the selected university would create an innovation and research center to (1) ensure the State is a leader in the development of cutting-edge technology and instructional design for the online programs and (2) conduct research that would help strengthen online degree programs and the success of online students.
- Direct the Chancellor to form a systemwide work group that would report back to the Strategic Planning Committee and continue to work with our colleges and universities and the other delivery systems to determine ways in which services and online degree programs, including market-based job analyses, can be better coordinated to ensure State and student needs are being met in a cost-efficient and effective manner.
The Board approved the Committee's recommended motions at its meeting on February 21, 2013, and the Legislature passed – and the Governor approved – CS/CS/SB 1076, creating an online institute at a preeminent university, thereby implementing the first motion. The Chancellor implemented the second motion by appointing a 17-member Task Force on Postsecondary Online Education in Florida and giving it the charge below. The Task Force's final report was transmitted to the Interim Chancellor on December 9, 2013, and was presented to the Board of Governors Innovation and Online Committee at its meeting on January 15, 2014. A plan for implementing the Task Force recommendations was presented to and approved by the Committee and was approved the next day by the full Board. The Committee has requested a status report on the plan's implementation at its March 2014 meeting.
Task Force Membership - Updated
Committee Membership - Updated
November 13, 2013 ‐ 1:00 p.m. ‐ 4:30 p.m., at the Central Florida Research Park, Partnership II Building (3200 Technology Parkway, Orlando, FL), Room 208.
Agenda Materials Final Draft Report for Review and Consideration
September 25, 2013 ‐ 11:00 a.m. ‐ 11:30 a.m. Committee on Faculty and Student Services. Conference call between Pam Northrup and Eddie Wachter. Agenda Materials
September 13, 2013 ‐ 11:00 a.m. ‐ 12:00 noon. Committee on Technology and Data Issues. Conference Call between Joel Hartman, Michael Moore, and Lauren Kemper. Agenda Materials
August 9, 2013 ‐ LMS Survey Results and Analysis
August 7, 2013 ‐ 4:00 p.m. ‐ 5:00 p.m. Conference call on "Advising Modernization,
FLVC LBR". Call-in Number 1-213-342-3000; Participant Code 754064 Minutes
July 10, 2013 ‐ 1:00 p.m. Conference call between Joel Hartman and Michael Moore. Minutes
June 18, 2013 - Task Force Meeting: Marshall Center, University of South Florida
- Agenda Packet is formatted for two-sided printing. Pages 15 and 16 have been updated to reflect an addition to the membership of the Task Force.
Page 31 has been updated to reflect a change in the Technology and Data Committee.
- Presentations during Task Force meeting
- Dr. Jay Box, Chancellor, Kentucky Community and Technical College System
- Dr. John Cunningham, Interim CEO, UMassOnline
- Mr. Carey Hatch, Associate Provost, State University of New York
- Minutes of Task Force meeting
- Committee on Academic Affairs
- Committee on Technology and Data Issues
- Committee on Faculty and Student Services